The top 5 categories of videos watched online are all short-form - comedy, music videos, videos shot and uploaded by consumers, news stories and movie previews - according to a Frank N. Magid Associates survey conducted for Metacafe.
Moreover, 28% of those who watch online videos report watching less TV as a result, according to the national online survey of 2,000 people age 12-64. Among the other findings of the Metacafe survey:
- 50% of all respondents watch online video weekly.
- 11% of all respondents watch online video daily.
- 19% of those who watch online videos report regularly sharing a link to a video with someone else.
The top-five most commonly viewed types of online video content, based on respondents reporting that they watch regularly, are as follows:
- Comedy/jokes/bloopers (37%)
- Music videos (36%)
- Videos shot and uploaded by consumers (33%)
- News stories (31%)
- Movie previews (28%)